028 9024 5640 (option 1)
operated by Housing Rights

Proposing a rent increase


Marco's tenant had lived in the property for 5 years, and during this time, he had not increased the rent.

Given the rise in rates bills and insurance costs, in addition the mortgage, Marco now felt that a rent increase was due. The tenant was in receipt of Housing Benefit and Marco wanted to ensure that the rent increase would cover his rising costs as a landlord but not put his tenant under financial strain.


How Landlord Advice helped

Our adviser explained to Marco that rent cannot be increased during a fixed term tenancy.

However, as Marco’s tenant had a periodic or ‘rolling’ tenancy agreement, he could propose a rent increase as long as the tenant was given at least 4 weeks’ notice in writing.

Marco was told that, in Northern Ireland, there is no fixed amount or percentage for a proposed rent increase. However, any increase should be fair and in line with rental amounts charged for properties of a similar size and condition in the local area. If the tenant agrees to the increase, the periodic tenancy can continue at the higher rental amount, or a new fixed term tenancy agreement can be signed.

If the tenant is unable to afford the increased rent, our adviser told Marco that the tenant may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). This could help towards covering the rent shortfall between Housing Benefit and the higher rent amount.

Marco’s tenant can contact Housing Rights and speak to an adviser for further advice and help on applying for a DHP.


What other landlords say about the service

"Prompt response to my request which helped resolve a concern l had about increasing rent. Very helpful and clear advice."


If you are a registered Landlord in Northern Ireland and need advice, contact us on 028 902 45640 (option 1), or send an email.